Sunday, August 2, 2015

You knew it was coming...

Gather round, saucy children, and let's talk about blogging.  *communal groaning* You may have noticed (you haven't) that it's been two months since I last blogged because I just ain't feelin' it this summer.  Also, I have melted from the death heat. 

In fact, I think it's time for the dreaded...*dun dun duuunnnnn* HIATUS.  

*internal screaming*
It's kinda like the kiss of death for bloggers.  Fortunately none of my income or sanity relies on blogging anymore so it only hurts my sense of duty and pride.

I feel like a completely different person than when I started this blog SIX YEARS AGO.  Back then my sanity DID rely on blogging.  At the time I was reading a lot of blogs which were wildly addictive with their sparkle and shine girl-next-door vibes but even as a counterpoint to magazines, they still felt really far away from my life.  


A life where I enjoyed pretty things but I was at the end of my quarter life crisis, just got out of therapy, hated my job, overwhelmed by my recently-purchased shit hole of a house, wildly insecure and in an emotional and creative depression (little d).  Hell, I didn't even think I WAS creative.  


I think what I was doing with blogging was asking permission - from myself and the "world" - to do the things I wanted to do even if I didn't know what they were yet.  And if I gained nothing else from blogging it's realizing FUCK PERMISSION.  Of course, there are enumerable things I gained from this here blog about vaginas and mood boards but that one seems important.

But I'll be a wise and mature 35 year old next month and what feels like way more than six years away from the person who started this blog.  I feel comfortable trying new things without being behind the protective space of this dirty computer screen and exploring creativity (that word still makes me cringe) in lots of different ways.  Blogging is just becoming less and less one of those ways.  Not because I don't like it - I DO - but I have limited time and want to branch out.  I'm gonna take ALL the Skillshare classes!


Besides, there's nothing less fulfilling than wanting to do something creative and then having to come home from work to your computer and format a contrary word document for hours.  Margins and code-writing and pixels and bullshit.  It's like if I wanted to paint abstract art and someone made me lay it out in AutoCAD first.  I die.


So long story still long, ModernSauce will continue to be my home base just not my primary focus for a while.  I have a lot of fun things I'm working on and planning to do - probably the cliche etsy shop - and I just need time to get that shit going.  


And probably some time to figure out how to blog without using this outdated format/platform.  I swear to Beyonce I've started dozens of posts in the last year that I cannot bring myself to finish just because it's like trying to use an abacus to Instagram.

So make sure to follow me over there on the 'gram and the Twitters because I'll miss y'all's comments and community and I'm greedy.  This probably sounds like a goodbye and it's NOT but all of you are amazing and I can't express how appreciative I am of all your support, comments, friendship and just general existence.  

Read the amazing story of these found negatives here.
So until we meet again, which will hopefully be sooner than later, please remember to:



9 comments:

  1. You are boss no matter what platform you are on. Can't wait to see what you do next.

    Send reports from the land of skillshare (all 'gram, all the time!). You are hilarious and creative and I will miss your posts. Now I have nothing left to do but get trolled by old angry ladies on my neighborhood social site ("You left out expensive shelving?! You are illegally dumping!" "No you cow, I'm giving other people a chance to get expensive shit before I cram it in my storage unit. You know I can see your name and neighborhood, right?") Anyway, off to battle the righteous.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! Appreciate all your comments and support. I'll be back one day!

      Show those righteous busybodies what REAL Illegal dumping is!!

      Delete
  2. awww... yeah, i saw your instagram photo the other day and i was like, omg, why haven't i seen her blog posts lately? thinking, of course, that it was one of those things where i see the email of a new post, mean to visit later, but then it gets buried in my email. thinking it was all my fault. but, ohhh... you just haven't been blogging! well, enjoy all your *other* things. and being creative! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wait, it modified my comment! the last sentence was "and being [ahem] creative!" except i used the less-than/greater-than symbols so it took it out. :P

      Delete
    2. Haha yeah "creative" is totally what I'm doing... like naps and drinking and shit...

      I'll be around and on the 'gram for sure so you won't be rid of me that easily! ; )

      Delete
  3. So, so sad for us, but so, so happy for you. Enjoy your next adventure, which I (notso)secretly wish will be a failure so that you will be inspired to keep blogging and entertaining us... Nobody wants fun to be a chore, though, so kudos to you for figuring out what you want and making it happen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments and support! I'm not done here for good - just need some time to get other things in motion! ; )

      Delete
  4. Great post! How's everything? I hope you'll enjoy you next adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your honesty and your blog. A vacation is what might revive you. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete